Monday, May 28, 2007

Old love

If you've ever witnessed someone having a heart flutter, it's quite possibly one of the most beautifully raw human emotions. Spring brings this kind of thing around every year. It's really odd seeing someone experience it for the first time, but it almost starts a chain reaction. Because you can relate to the person it happens to, and somehow, even if it has nothing to do with you, you want to apply it to yourself. Miraculously, I've seen love (I use that term loosely) this week.

The First Kiss
I always imagined that once you hit a certain age, everyday emotions don't apply to you anymore...like a first kiss. I was sitting on my front stoop around 10 pm and I saw a man and woman walking up to hers. They stopped, said a few words (I was too far away to hear) and then the awkward moment happened; when someone has to get the balls to go in for it. It was heart stopping. He bent down to give her a little peck, and slowly it became passionate kiss. He hesitated as he moved his arms to her sides, hers slowly moved to his. Eventually, they embraced a little bit more and he moved his hands to her face. And you could just tell that they were smitten; because there's nothing in the world like that first kiss with someone. It's so promising, and in that moment, you know something is about to happen. Anxiety dissipates and even for the shyest person, all inhibitions halt and instinct takes over. They pulled apart, looked at each other and smiled. She tore herself away from him and as she walked up her stairs, she asked him to call her later. He stayed and watched her open the first door, then the main door. She was in her building, and he just stood there catching his breath- you could see his glowtion. A second later, he turned and walked away. I couldn't see his face, but I knew that he must have had the most real smile on his face, because even I did for him. Coming from a person who doesn't necessarily believe that you only fall in love once, watching this "couple" gave me hope; that life doesn't stop when you get old. You can still get that high school adrenaline rush from a first kiss.
My realization: Maybe marriage isn't the way to go- what if you could have that first kiss feeling over and over for years to come! I don't need to get married right away. I can wait until I'm 50 something and still find "the one."

No comments:

Post a Comment